Last week I was in the airport coming back from Germany, and on that last plane back home, I saw two young men playing a card game. It looked quite interesting, and they were smiling. I just HAD to ask. “Excuse me men. May I ask what you are playing?” I said. Thankfully, they understood English. “We’re playing War,” they replied in an American accent. “Have you ever played War??”
I told them about “Hazard”, the card game I loved to play with Andrew and Tony, and anyone else who felt the want to join, really. Hazard was the ancestor of the game Craps, which was a game that needed skill in betting and gambling. They taught me how to play War, which was a game where you trade in pairs of cards, and if someone has the same pair as another, they clash with their cards, and see who gets a higher card rank. They seemed interested in what I was saying, so I invited them to play with Andrew, Tony, and I. They agreed to come because they said they were both "checking out" England and were deciding if they should live in Dover or not.
These two lads had just graduated from their last year of college, and were thinking of subbing up enough money from a job when they find one and buying an apartment. "You know there are apartments next to a wonderful dining cafe named the 'Fisherman's Rest', and that you possibly could be hired for a job there, and like that, you can come join the game whenever you're free." I said. "Really?" they replied with a smile. "That's just......perfect!! Sure." Their names were Dane Eberhart, 22 and Roy Laughlin, 21. We decided to meet at the "Fisherman's Rest" next week, and I think that these chaps might be a bit challenging, but when they see my skills, they WILL be suprised.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ah. Sir Percy you could beat them any day. They will be awed by just watching you play Poker. The kids these days just make many games these days. I hope to meet them in the near future.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Marguerite Blakeney